Taxi driver training
As part of the taxi driver licence application, you need to complete an initial training course with Green Penny Ltd. You will need to book this direct with Green Penny Ltd.
Once you have applied for your dual driver licence, provided the supporting documents and paid the application fee, you must:
- complete an online English test (Green Penny will provide you with details about this)
- complete the initial training course and test at the end
- complete the geographical test
You will need to complete an online English test as part of the training process.
Once you have booked the initial training, Green Penny Ltd will contact you with details about how to complete the online English test.
You will need a good level of English to understand law, policy, the highway code and to understand the training.
The trainers will assess how proficient you are in English during the initial training course. If they have any concerns, they may refer you back to us.
The training is a one day course with a test at the end of the day.
There is also a geographical test on roads, places of interest and routes.
New applicants and existing drivers must complete this training course by 31 January 2023.
Once you complete the training course, you will receive a training certificate which is valid for three years. If you complete the initial training course in Uttlesford, we will accept that training certificate.
Once you have completed the initial training course, you will only need to complete a refresher course every three years.
If you are completing a refresher course, you won't need to complete any tests.
Geographical test (knowledge test)
The geographical test takes place at the end of the initial training course. It will test your knowledge of roads, places of interest and routes.
All licence holders will need to pass this test.
You will only have four attempts at the topographical test.
There will be a test at the end of the training course which will cover:
- drivers awareness and personal safety
- customer service
- current legislation
- complaints and crime reporting
- highway code
- disability and equality awareness
- child sexual exploitation, vulnerable people and county lines
How to book
You must book your training course and topographical test with Green Penny Ltd.
To book the training, you will need:
- your full name (on your driving licence)
- your address and contact details
- your date of birth
- your driving licence number
- your taxi licence badge number
You will get your badge number after you have submitted your driver licence application and paid the licence fee. If you are an existing driver, this will be your current badge number.
The cost of the initial training course is £130.
There is also an additional fee for the topographical test of £18. You must book the topographical test through Green Penny Ltd when booking the training.
There is a charge of £19.50 for any exam resits.
You must pay Green Penny Ltd directly for the training and any tests.
After you have completed the training
Once you have completed the initial training, you must:
Personnel Checks are a third party checking agency authorised to act on our behalf. Using this option is a faster route for your enhanced DBS check.
To apply for a check, you will need to:
- go to the Personnel Checks website and make an online application
- sign up to the DBS update service (whilst making your application through Personnel Checks)
- pay the £53 fee directly to Personnel Checks
- provide copies of the required identity documents to Personnel Checks (either by email or post) following their instructions
What happens next
The DBS will send you a Disclosure certificate. When you receive the certificate you must:
- provide us with a copy of the certificate
- sign up to the DBS update service within 28 days of the certificate being issued through Personnel Checks (if not already subscribed when making your application)
Failure to provide us with the certificate may delay your application.
Personnel Checks will confirm to us that they have completed the DBS check. They will not receive a copy of the certificate.
Personnel Checks will make a small charge to ensure that the DBS update subscription service is being maintained. They will inform us if your subscription isn’t paid or there has been a significant change in your DBS status.
The DBS update service subscription aims to remove the need for three yearly full enhanced checks, replacing previous charges with an annual subscription fee.
If there has been any change, Personnel Checks will inform you to carry out a further full enhanced check. In signing up to this service, we will check your status every six months.
Personnel Checks will ask you to provide them with one or more of the following identity documents:
- current valid passport (any current and valid passport)
- biometric residence permit (UK)
- current photocard driving licence (full or provisional: UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and EEA)
- birth certificate issued within 12 months from birth (UK, Isle of Man and Channel Islands) full or short version including those issued by UK authorities overseas, for example embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces
- adoption certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
All driving licences must be valid. For example, they must be in date, acceptable in the UK and show your current home address.
We only need to see identity documents when checking your right to work.