Sir Nicolas Conyngham Tindal (Judge)
Old Lloyds Bank, Moulsham Street
Sir Nicolas Conyngham Tindal was born in Moulsham in 1776 and attended King Edward VI Grammar School. He went on to study at Trinity College Cambridge, where he obtained a first class honours.
In 1810, Tindal was called to the Bar in Lincoln’s Inn where he attained a reputation for his learning. One notable case was when he successfully defended the Queen, Caroline of Brunswick, in her trial for adultery against King George VI.
He was appointed to the Bench in 1829, where he helped reformed the application of criminal law.
During his time as a judge, he introduced the special verdict of “not guilty by reason of insanity”. He also introduced the defence of provocation in murder trials, and both of these defences ae still in use today.
He continued to work until 10 days before his death, following a stroke in 1846. He is buried in Kensal Green cemetery in London.
Following his death, the Chelmsford Chronicle wrote that he had ‘gone to the tomb amidst that which public men can seldom secure — the honest praise and the deep regret of all’.
A statue to commemorate him was erected in Tindal Square in 1850.