Rough sleepers

If you are concerned about someone who you think is rough sleeping, you can send an alert to StreetLink.

Make a self-referral

If you are currently homeless or threatened with homelessness and need advice and support, you can make a self-referral.

To make a self-referral, you will need:

  • your full name and contact details
  • your address (if known)
  • your date of birth
  • your national insurance number

Once we have received your request, our Housing Solutions team will contact you within two working days. If your situation requires emergency action, we will contact you on the first available working day.

If your situation is an out of hours homeless emergency, you can call our out of hours number.

If you can't complete the self-referral form yourself, you can contact us and we can help you.

If you are not homeless, but have another housing issue, you can find more housing help and support.

Homelessness duties

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness in the next eight weeks, we have a legal duty to make an assessment of your circumstances.

In most cases, this assessment will trigger a legal duty for us to:

  • provide a personal housing plan outlining how we are going to help to prevent your homelessness, or
  • help you to find accommodation, if you are already homeless

Although we may have a duty to help you keep your home or try to find a new one, this doesn't mean that in all cases we have a duty to provide accommodation itself.

In some limited circumstances, we will only have a duty to give general advice. We won't be able to give you a personal housing plan or homelessness support.

For example, if your immigration status stops you from accessing public funds, then you won't be eligible for this help.

You can visit Shelter to find more information about immigration and residence restrictions.

You can also visit GOV.UK and Shelter for more information about our duties to homeless people or those threatened with homelessness.

If you are not homeless but still need support

If you are not threatened with homelessness within the next eight weeks, but you need support to make sure it does not happen (for example, to help keep a rented tenancy) you must still contact us.

This is so we can provide advice and support to help you to keep your current home.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.