Rough sleepers

If you are concerned about someone who you think is rough sleeping, you can send an alert to StreetLink.

Upload now

After you have applied to join the Housing Register, you need to provide evidence to support your application. We will tell you the evidence we need. 

You have 30 days from when you made your application to give us the evidence.

Once you have the documents you need to provide, you must upload your evidence on HomeOption.

You can contact us if you have any issues with supplying your evidence.

If you don't provide us with any evidence, we won't write to you to request it. We will remove your application 30 days after you submitted it.

To prove your identify, you must provide the following documents for everyone living in the household. This includes:

  • passport, birth certificate, or driving licence
  • full birth certificate for all children

If your name has changed since birth, you will need to provide us with a copy of the deed poll that proves the change of name.

You must provide evidence of all your and your partners’ capital and savings.

We must see bank statements for each account you/your partner have, even if the account has no money in it.

You must provide a statement for every bank/building society account you/your partner has. It must include the full transactions for the previous two months.

You must provide evidence of any other capital or investments that you and your partner have, such as:

  • bonds
  • stocks/shares
  • national savings certificates
  • ISAs
  • unit trusts
  • premium bonds
  • dividends
  • other property
  • land interest


You must provide the following evidence for all adults in the household. This includes:

  • proof of income
  • payslips (for the past two months, three fortnights or five weekly, or self-employed accounts for the last financial year

Other benefits

Other benefits includes any benefits, state retirement pension or tax credits that you, your partner or non-dependant get.

If you are waiting for a benefit award from DWP, you need to tell us in writing us how you are meeting your living expenses.

Children who will live with you

You must tell us about and the relationship and identities of all those that live in you/your partner's home.

If children are going to be living with you, you must provide:

  • a Child Benefit award notice
  • a Child Tax Credit award notice

Other people living with you

For those that are not British citizens, you need to provide the following evidence:

  • passport or proof of immigration status (for example, indefinite leave to remain (ILR))
  • proof of employment, such as contracts or payslips (for European workers)
  • workers registration documents for A10 countries (The A10 includes: Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia)

Rent and tenancy

For proof of your tenancy, we can accept:

  • tenancy agreement
  • licensing agreement
  • rent statement from Social Landlord


For proof that you own a property, you must provide:

  • mortgage statement
  • sale completion certificate

If you apply to join the Housing Register, you must prove your current residence. We need proof of the following documents for all adults living in the household. This includes:

  • utility bills (for example, gas, electric, water, mobile phone), or
  • a Council Tax bill, or
  • a Benefits letter (from DWP confirming proof of your benefit), and
  • a copy of your last mortgage statement, or a valuation of a property

If you are living with friends or family, or in a hostel, you will need to provide a letter from them confirming your living arrangements.

If you are living in a caravan, you must provide a copy of your site agreement or letter from the owner confirming living arrangements.

To prove a local connection to Chelmsford, you must provide:

  • evidence of your address history for the last five years (tenancy agreements and utility bills for each address, and bank statements showing each address)
  • contract of employment, and
  • a utility bill for a relative who has been a resident in Chelmsford for at least the last five years, or
  • a signed statement from a relative giving us permission to confirm their residency from Council Tax records

If you are providing a utility bill, the date on the bill must be from at least the last five years. You must also provide a current bill to confirm your residence.

You will need to provide evidence of any current health conditions. This includes:

  • a letter from your GP, consultant or any other professional (that you or anyone in your household is working with) that confirms how your housing situation is negatively impacting on your health
  • a Housing Need Report from your Occupational Therapist

We need to know if your landlord or someone you are living with has asked you to leave the property or you are threatened with homelessness for any other reason.

You will need to provide us with:

  • a Section 21 notice from your landlord, or
  • a possession order, or
  • a Bailiff Warrant, or
  • a notice letter from a relative or friend asking you to leave


If you are rough sleeping

If you are rough sleeping, you will need to tell us your location so we can make sure you get the right support. If you are currently working with a support agency you will need to provide us with their details.

If you can't manage your current home and are willing to accept accommodation for those aged over 50, you must write to us and confirm this.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.