Join us for a journey into the ocean this Easter with Chelmsford Riverside Ice Skating Club in their amateur production of The Little Mermaid On Ice. Featuring colourful costumes, catchy songs and a relaxed atmosphere, it's the perfect entertainment for kids of all ages! Book your ice show tickets.
Essential road maintenance will be taking place on Victoria Road which will affect access to Riverside Leisure Centre car park. This will run from Monday 3 April 2023 to Saturday 15 April 2023. You can read more about the arrangements.
Creche at Riverside
Our fantastic OFSTED registered crèche offers child care for children aged between 6 weeks and 5 years.
Our crèche offers everything you need to keep your little one active while you enjoy your workout! With qualified staff and OFSTED registration, you can enjoy your exercise at Riverside, knowing that your child is being well looked after.
- arts and crafts
- physical activities including slides, trampoline, see-saw and construction toys.
- baby toys (located in a designated baby area)
- home and role play areas
- music, songs, and dance
- reading corner or chill out area
- celebration of different cultures and festivals
We will consider the requirements of all children considered when organising activities and wherever possible, activities and equipment will be accessible to all.
Before you use the crèche, you are welcome to visit and speak to our staff, or read our detailed information on this page.
You must be attending a booked session on site while your child is at the crèche.
Riverside is a breastfeeding friendly centre. Please speak to one of our team for more information.
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 2.30pm (including school holidays) in 30 minute slots
- The creche is closed on bank holidays
Sessions must be booked on your child's ourChelmsford card.
- ourChelmsford Lite card: £4.80 per 30 minute session
- ourChelmsford Plus card: £3.80 per 30 minute session
Wellness monthly members
- One hour per day of free crèche sessions for one child. Sessions must be booked on the parent's monthly membership card. Additional sessions and children must be paid for.
Creche sessions are available on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. Demand is high, so we recommend that you book a place in advance, and please arrive promptly.
Each session is 30 minutes long, and you can book multiple sessions for up to a total of two hours.
Your child must have an ourChelmsford account to attend the creche, even if you are not a monthly member and you don't live in Chelmsford.
You can book in advance:
- online or via the app with the child's ourChelmsford card, or the parent or guardian's Premium membership
- by calling 01245 615050
if you are a monthly member, you can log in using your card to book up to 10 days in advance
if you are an ourChelmsford Plus cardholder, you can log in using your child's card to book to seven days in advance
if you are an ourChelmsford Lite cardholder, you can log in using your child's card to book up to two days in advance
You can't book a place at any of our kiosks.
If you no longer need to use the crèche, please cancel at least two hours before the session starts, to avoid being charged.
You can call 01245 615050 or cancel online.
On a first visit to the creche, you'll need to fill in registration and emergency contact forms.
Required details will include:
- child’s name, address and date of birth
- parent or guardian name, address and telephone number
- emergency contact name and telephone number
- GP name, address and telephone number
- details of any medical conditions that your child may have
In line with the Data Protection Act 2018, all records that we keep are confidential.
- A clean change of clothing for your child, nappies and wipes.
- We will do our best to continue any child’s toilet training routine and request that you bring a change of clothes just in case.
- Any drinks or snacks, clearly labelled with your child's name (we have water available).
- Please do not bring any snacks which contain nuts.
- Formula and water (we can heat babes bottles when required).
- Personal toys and dummies; please make sure these are clearly named.
- Please aim to drop off and pick your child up at the time specified. If you think you'll be late picking up your child, please call us on 01245 615050.
- Due to a limited number of booking spaces being available, we may limit your ability to use the creche if you are late picking up your child.
- If a new session has started when you pick your child up, you'll need to pay for the extra 30 minutes. We'll add the payment to your membership card, and you'll need to clear this charge within seven days of the crèche session before you can make another booking.
- A qualified first-aider will be in the crèche at all times.
- Before providing first aid, your child’s details will be checked for anything which may affect treatment.
- In an emergency situation the parent or guardian of the child will be called. An incident form will be completed; you'll be told of any treatment given and advised of any further action required.
- Creche staff will not administer regular or routine medicines to children.
- With written parental consent they will administer emergency medication such as inhalers or EpiPens.
- If you child has suffered from a viral infection, conjunctivitis, head lice, sickness or diarrhoea, within 48 hours of a session, we cannot admit them into the crèche. Please do not bring them to the crèche as they may be contagious and infect other children in our care.
- If your child is showing signs or symptoms of coronavirus, or has come into contact with anyone who has tested positive for coronavirus, please follow the current government guidelines.
- We encourage children to behave in an acceptable manner with respect for others. Care is taken to encourage and praise good behaviour.
- We would expect your child to be kind and considerate to others.
- In any case of misbehaviour, it will always be made clear to your child that the behaviour is not appropriate, without making your child feel unwelcome. If the behaviour continues, we will attempt to remove your child from the situation and distract them with a different activity. If this fails, we will ask your child to play in a different area. As a last resort we may find it necessary to call you back to the crèche to resolve the situation.
- Physical punishment is never used or threatened. Behaviour may be recorded and our staff will let you know details on your return.
- The recommended staff to child ratio is in place and our experienced staff will ensure that these are maintained.
- For safety reasons, these ratios will not be altered under any circumstances.
- Your child’s welfare is of the highest importance to us. If staff are concerned about a child whilst in their care, they have a duty to report their concerns to the local authority, as part of Riverside Leisure Centre’s Child Protection Policy.
- In the event of the building having to be evacuated, do not return to the crèche.
- The centre’s evacuation procedure will ensure that the crèche has been cleared.
- In the event of an evacuation, please meet your child(ren) at the assembly point, located in the coach bay in the car park.
- If you have any concerns or complaints, please speak to a member of creche staff immediately.
- You can direct any complaints about the EYFS framework to the OFSTED Early Years Complaints helpline on 0845 601 4772.
We promote a policy of equal opportunity for everyone in the community. This means that all children in our care will be treated fairly and equally in all respects. Please ask a member of staff if you wish to view the full policy.