We own and maintain seven public toilets in the Chelmsford area.

You can also report a problem with a public toilet.

Most of our public toilets have accessible facilities.

You can use our accessible facilities at any time if you have a Radar NKS Key.

Apply for a Changing Places key

We provide five Changing Places toilets in the Chelmsford district, for people with disabilities who need help from their carer to use the toilet.

The Changing Places are located:

  • in the city centre, in Market Road (open 24/7)
  • in Hylands Park, next to the Park car park
  • at Riverside Leisure Centre
  • at Chelmsford Sport and Athletics Centre
  • at South Woodham Ferrers Leisure Centre

To use the Changing Places toilets, you need to have an entrance key.

To apply for an entrance key, you will need:

  • the name, address and contact details of the carer
  • the name, address and contact details of the user
  • evidence of eligibility for the higher rate Disability Living Allowance

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge your application within three working days
  • check that you have supplied all the information we need
  • issue your entrance key, if you are eligible

As a carer, you are responsible for safety at all times. We will not be able to offer advice or assistance when you are using the equipment.

If you are a carer and helping someone in a Changing Places toilet, you need to:

  • be trained in using hoists and changing benches
  • know whether your slings are compatible with the joist, and not use the hoist if you are unsure
  • use the protective paper and remove it after you have used the Changing Places toilet
  • dispose of all soiled material in the sanitary waste bin
  • take all soiled clothing away with you, and not use the basin or shower to wash it

The hoist has a maximum weight restriction of 31.5 stone, and the changing bench has a maximum weight restriction of 30 stone.

You can view the map in a separate window or view the version below.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.