Inform us now

You need to tell us if you intend to demolish a building or part of a building, at least six weeks before the demolition.

You don’t need to tell us if you are going to demolish:

  • a small building that is less than 50 cubic metres
  • certain agricultural buildings

After you have told us you intend to demolish a building, we will send you a counter notice. You can’t demolish the building until you have received the counter notice.

To tell us that you intend to demolish a building, you will need:

  • to have read the guidance notes
  • to sign in to DataSpace Live, or register if you do not already have an account
  • the name and contact details of the person who will demolish the building
  • the name and contact details of the person who wants the demolition, if it is not the person demolishing the building
  • the location of the building to be demolished
  • the dates when the demolition will take place   

You will also need to submit a site plan showing:    

  • the site boundaries        
  • which buildings you are demolishing  
  • the buildings next to the building you are demolishing  
  • the location of drains and sewers that you will seal, disconnect or remove

You can find information about planning permission and demolition on the Planning Portal.

Section 80 to 83 of the Building Act 1984 gives details of the procedures to be followed by a person intending to demolish a building, and the powers of a local authority to serve notices on that person requiring that certain obligations are met. It also describes the penalties on summary conviction for contravening or failing to comply with the requirements. 

No person shall begin a demolition of a building described in the Act UNLESS notice of intention has been given to the local authority AND a minimum period of six weeks from the giving of that notice has subsequently elapsed. The demolition can only commence sooner if the local authority has served its notices in accordance with sections 81 and 82 of the Act before the expiration of the six week time period. 

Section 81 notices from the local authority may require a person to carry out certain works, including those intended to ensure the stability and weather resistance of any adjacent building, the condition in which the site is to be left, the sealing or disconnection of drainage and other services and conditions subject to which the demolition is to be undertaken. Section 81 notices will also state the requirement for a person to notify the local authority before certain operations are carried out on site. Further information regarding these matters may be obtained by contacting Building Control Services. 

The attention of persons giving notice is also drawn to the requirements of the Control of Pollution Act 1974 regarding the control of noise from demolition operations, the Clean Air Act 1993 regarding the emission of dark smoke, and the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 concerning the disposal of waste material (ie to a licensed site). Further information regarding these matters may be obtained from Environmental Services.

Safe working practices on site are a requirement of the Construction, Design and Management Regulations and the Construction (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations. Further details regarding these matters may be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive

You need to contact the Head of Highways Services to apply for road opening permits, scaffolding, hoarding or skip licences, or any other matter affecting the highway. To avoid any confusion as to whether or not footways have been damaged by the works, you should take detailed photographs before staring works to show the current state of repair of the highway and street furniture.

You also need to get any planning permission, prior approval, listed building or conservation area consents before starting work, as appropriate. Further information regarding these matters may be obtained by contacting the Planning Services Development Manager.

If you need technical support when completing the form on DataSpace Live, you can call 01242 260505.

You should not call this line for advice about demolitions or to discuss a current demolition notice.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.