The fee you pay for a premises licence or club licence depends on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.

If a premises falls within bands D or E, and is mainly used for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises, then the following fees apply:

  • band D: £900
  • band E: £1,905

There are different fees for large events with capacity for 5000 or more on the premises at any one time. You can contact us.

Large events with a capacity of less than 5000 will be subject to the above fees.

If you don't know the rateable value of your premises, you can find further guidance on the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) website. You can also call their helpline on 0845 602 1507.

Alternatively, you can write to:

Licensing Department
Chelmsford City Council
Civic Centre
Duke Street

You will not need to pay a fee for a new application if the premises is:

  • an educational institute (school or college)
  • a church hall, chapel hall or other similar building
  • a village hall, parish hall or community hall
  • or an other similar building


  • you are making the application as the owner of an educational institute, and
  • regulated entertainment on the premises is for and on behalf of the school or college

If any of the above exceptions apply, you will not need to pay the annual fee.

These exceptions do not apply if:

  • the licence permits the sale of alcohol, or
  • entertainment is not provided for or on behalf of the school or college

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.