You will need a licence if you want to keep a dangerous wild animal.

To apply for a dangerous wild animal licence, you need to:

  • be over 18
  • tell us your name, address and contact details
  • provide information about:
    • where you will keep the animal
    • the species of animal you want to keep, including its scientific name
    • how many animals you want to keep
    • the accommodation for the animal   
    • the food the animal will need and where you will get it from
    • your insurance policy, including the company name and your policy number         
  • agree to comply with all objectives and conditions stated on the application form
  • pay the fee of £377

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • decide if we need a veterinary inspection of your premises as part of the application process. If we need this inspection, you will have to pay for it
  • issue our decision within three months of receiving your application and payment
  • add your licence details to the dangerous wild animals public register        

If we do not grant you a licence, we will not refund your fee.

Your licence is valid from 1 January to 31 December, regardless of when we grant it. You need to renew your licence every year, before the current licence expires.

We will write to you three months before your licence expires, to remind you to renew it.

To renew your licence, you will need to pay the fee of £377.

You can pay the renewal application fee by:

  • calling our Business Support team on 01245 606662
  • sending us a cheque payable to Chelmsford City Council

When you contact us to renew your licence, we will arrange an inspection.

We will carry out the inspection and tell you our decision within ten weeks of receiving your application.

If you disagree with our decision about your animal licence or a condition attached to the licence, you can appeal to the magistrates court.

You need to appeal within six months of receiving our decision.

You need to appeal in writing to Chelmsford Magistrates Court.

When you appeal, you need to give details of the licence, and why you disagree with our decision.

You may have to pay a fine of up to £2000 if we find you guilty of:

  • keeping an animal covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976
  • failing to comply with any condition of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976
  • obstructing or delaying an inspector

If you keep an animal without a licence, we may keep it, have it destroyed or disposed of without any compensation.

If we receive any costs in seizing, retaining or disposing of an animal, we will pass those costs onto you.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.