Before you apply for a street collection, you have to make sure you have permission from the land owner.
If you are collecting on the High Street, you will need to contact our City Centre Management team to ask for permission.
You may also need to contact:
To apply for a street collection permit, you will need to:
- download and fill in your application form
- upload your completed application form at least three months before your proposed collection date
- include either the constitution of the charity you are collecting for, or a letter of consent from them authorising your collection
- tell us where you want to carry out your collection
If you seeing a 'Please wait...' message when viewing the application form, you need to read our guidance on how to open the application form.
The street collection permit will be valid for a specific location, and we will only issue one permit per day for that location.
Once we receive your application, we will:
- review your application within 14 days
- notify you of our decision
- inform you of how you should carry out the collection, and what you need to do afterwards
- inform you of where you should publish a statement about your collection
If you carry out a street collection without a permit, you could receive a fine of up to £200.
In some circumstances, such as national disasters or global appeals, we can process collection applications more quickly. You can contact us for further information.
Within one month of your collection, you need to supply a street collection return, to inform us of:
- how much you collected
- any expenses you incurred
- how the charity are using the proceeds
To supply a street collection return, you will need to:
If you are having trouble downloading the application form, you can read our guidance.
You also need to publish a statement within one month of the collection. The statement needs to include:
- who was responsible for the collection or sale
- the charity or fund the money was donated to
- the date of the collection or sale
- the amount you collected
- your expenses
- the amount you donated to the charity