Apply now

If your property has qualified as a licensable house in multiple occupation (HMO), you will need to apply for us for a licence.

However, if you intend to make changes to the property so that it no longer qualifies, you can apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN). This will allow you to operate without a licence for up to three months while you are making the changes. 

You cannot apply for a TEN to avoid being properly licensed. 

You must show that you are genuinely making changes to ensure the property will no longer need a licence. 

We will ask to see evidence to support your application. This could be by you providing supporting documents, or by us visiting the property. We may also carry out additional checks, including with other agencies as appropriate.

You cannot apply for a TEN to avoid being properly licensed. It is a criminal offence to manage or be in control of an unlicensed property.

It is also an offence to provide false or misleading information to obtain a TEN. We can refuse or revoke your TEN and take other appropriate action if you:

  • omit any relevant information to support your application 
  • make any false statements or misrepresentations

If your application is successful

If we grant a TEN for your property, it will last for three months. 

At the end of the three months, you need to either:

  • apply for one additional TEN, but only in extraordinary circumstances, or
  • apply for a full HMO licence, or
  • show that the property no longer needs a licence

If your application is unsuccessful

If we decide not to issue a TEN, we will tell you:

  • the reasons why we did not grant it
  • details of how you can appeal against our decision

You can appeal within 28 days of the decision date. You must make your appeal to the residential property tribunal for the east of England

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.