Report now

We investigate reports of fly tipping, when rubbish or bulky items are dumped on public or private property without the owner’s permission.

We investigate reports of fly-tipping if it is located:

  • on the road
  • on the pavement
  • in an alleyway
  • in one of our parks

If there is a large commercial fly-tip blocking a road, you need to report it to Essex County Council. As the local highways authority, they are responsible for any obstruction to the highway.

To report fly-tipping, you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • information about where the problem is located
  • any further information that you think is relevant
  • photos or evidence of the problem, if you have it

If you see someone fly-tipping, you should note:

  • a description of the person
  • the registration number and a description of the vehicle 

How we deal with fly-tipping

Once we receive your report of fly-tipping, we will:

  • acknowledge your report within three days
  • visit the location
  • investigate and gather evidence to try and find the person responsible
  • resolve the problem by clearing away the fly-tip

If our evidence proves who is responsible for the fly-tipping, we will prosecute them. If the court finds them guilty, they could receive a fine of up to £50,000 or get 12 months in prison.

If there is frequent fly-tipping in an area, we will install covert CCTV to find who is responsible. We may also restrict access to the area to help prevent fly-tipping. 


We can only remove asbestos if you find it dumped on the highway. You can report asbestos using our fly-tipping form.

We will not remove asbestos if it on private land. This includes asbestos in buildings. If you need to remove asbestos from a building, you can contact Essex County Council.

If you are concerned about asbestos in your workplace, you can contact our Public Health and Protection team.

You can get more information and advice on asbestos from the Health and Safety Executive.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.