Changes to Building Control regulations

In October 2023, the government introduced changes to Building Control laws. These changes place new duties of competence on all parties involved, and also affect higher-risk buildings. You can read more about the changes.

You must make an Application for Building Control Approval with Full Plans, rather than just a Building Notice, if you are:

  • carrying out works on a building covered by the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (including all non-domestic properties and flats that share a common staircase, lobby or corridor)
  • erecting a building fronting onto a private street
  • carrying out works within three metres of a public sewer, as shown on a public sewer map (we strongly recommend you contact Anglian Water, even if you are only submitting a Building Notice, if your works take place near a sewer)

Block plan

If the proposed work includes the erection of a new building or extension, you must include a block plan to a scale of not less than 1:1,250. 

The plan should be in metric measurements and needs to show:

  • the size and position of the building, or the building as extended, and its relationship to adjoining boundaries
  • the boundaries of the curtilage of the building, or the building as extended, and the size, position and use of every building within that curtilage
  • the width and position of any street on or within the boundary of the curtilage of the building or the building as extended
  • the provision to be made for the drainage of the building or extension


You will normally need to pay a fee as part of your submission. You can see our charges and guidance notes for full details.

Starting work and site visits

You must give notice of your intention to commence work after the Building Notice has been validated and at least two days before the work commences. 

You need to tell us about your intention to start work by booking a site visit or by calling 01245 606431.

Planning permission

Even if you have submitted a building notice, you may also still need to seek planning permission from us for the works. You can view our Planning advice and permissions page for more details.

How to apply

You can apply online using the online portal from Dataspace Live. You will need to register first if you do not have an account.

Apply now

Technical support for applications

If you need technical support with how to apply using Dataspace Live, you can call 01242 260505. You can also view guide-sheets and video tutorials on how to use the portal.

You should not contact Dataspace Live for advice on building control or to discuss a current application.

Further information

These notes are for general guidance only. You can find full details about depositing plans in The Building Regulations 2010 (Regulations 12 and 13) and the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

If you need further information or advice, you can contact us.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.