Changes to Building Control regulations

In October 2023, the government introduced changes to Building Control laws. These changes place new duties of competence on all parties involved, and also affect higher-risk buildings. You can read more about the changes.

You can apply for a Regularisation Certificate if your building work was not covered by a valid building regulation application when it was done. This only applies to work started on or after 11 November 1985.

If you apply and we find that the work does not comply with the building regulations, you will need to carry out remedial work.

Reasonable steps

We can ask you to take reasonable steps to determine what work, if any, you need to do to comply with the relevant regulations. These steps include:

  • laying open the unauthorised work for inspection
  • making tests
  • taking samples as we think appropriate

Planning permission

Even if you have applied for regularisation, you may also still need to seek planning permission from us. You can view our Planning advice and permissions page for more details.

Who can apply

You can apply for regularisation if:

  • you are the owner of the property
  • the building work started on or after 11 November 1985
  • it was not covered by a building regulations submission at the time

We will only issue a certificate of regularisation once the building work complies with building regulations.

What you need to apply

For regularisation of unauthorised works, you need to submit:

  • a completed application form
  • plans and details of the unauthorised work

As part of the application process, you will have to allow a site inspection and you also may have to: 

  • submit professionally prepared plans
  • expose internal structures or create trial holes
  • carry out remedial work


You will normally need to pay a fee as part of your submission. You can see our charges and guidance notes for full details. You do not have to pay VAT on regularisation applications.

How to apply

You can apply online using the online portal from Dataspace Live. You will need to register first if you do not have an account.

Apply now

Technical support for applications

If you need technical support with how to apply using Dataspace Live, you can call 01242 260505. You can also view guide-sheets and video tutorials on how to use the portal.

You should not contact Dataspace Live for advice on building control or to discuss a current application.

Further information

These notes are for general guidance only. You can find full details about depositing plans in The Building Regulations 2010 (Regulation 18) and the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

If you need further information or advice, you can contact us.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.