Historic England identify and keep a record of listed buildings, to protect them for their historic or architectural value.

You can search all listed buildings on Historic England.

If you want to carry out any work on a listed building, you will need to apply for specific planning permission, called listed building consent.

You can find general information about listed buildings on Historic England.

The listed building designation covers the exterior and interior of the building. This includes additions to the original building, as well as any structure fixed to the building or within its curtilage. 

In general, we consider a structure to be the part of the listing if:

  • it is ancillary to the principal building
  • it dates from before 1948
  • it was in the curtilage of the principal listed building when it was listed

Any list entries added or amended from 2013 may expressly exclude such curtilage buildings from protection.

If you are unsure about the permission you need for the work you want to carry out, you can contact us.

You will definitely need listed building consent if you want to:

  • add an extension
  • remove historic doors, fireplaces, plasterwork or panelling
  • replace external doors or windows
  • paint the outside of the property, where its character would be affected
  • attach an electric vehicle charging point or updates to the building
  • demolish all or part of property, including anything in the grounds
  • carry out repairs that would involve changing the fabric of the building or using different materials   

You don’t need listed building consent to:

  • paint and decorate the inside of the property, if you or the previous owners have already carried out similar work
  • replace modern kitchen and bathroom fittings
  • carry out regular maintenance, using traditional materials

It is a criminal offence to carry out work to a listed building without our consent.

You can carry out emergency work to a listed building with our consent, but you will have to prove:

  • the work was urgent, due to health and safety or to preserve the building
  • a temporary solution was unsuitable
  • the work was limited to the minimum amount necessary
  • you gave written notice of the work as soon as possible 

Permitted development rights are restricted within the curtilage of a listed building, so various type of development will require planning permission, including:

  • boundary treatments, including fences, walls and gates
  • outbuildings
  • swimming pools
  • electric vehicle charging points and upstands

You can view further information about planning advice and permissions.

Apply for consent

If you want to carry out any work on a listed building, you will need to apply for specific planning permission, called listed building consent.

You can apply via the Planning Portal.

If you are doing other work to the property, you may also need to apply for planning permission.

For information and advice about living in a listed building, you can view Historic England.

If you want to install double glazing in a listed building, you will almost always need listed building consent.  

Whether or not we can grant permission will depend on several factors and we have to assess each case individually. 

You can read the double glazing guidance notes, which outline what we consider when making a decision.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.