Masterplans for new developments in Chelmsford
Masterplans are high level documents, which set out what we expect from a new development. They mainly relate to strategic growth sites, which we have allocated in the Local Plan. The Local Plan sets out the overall number and locations for homes, jobs and businesses along with the infrastructure needed to support growth.
We use masterplans to help create excellent places to live, work and enjoy, and which are suitable for the individual site. They help us to make sure developments deliver what the area needs, while giving developers some flexibility.
Our Masterplan Procedure sets out the process we follow with developers for relevant sites. It includes details on:
- the obligations for both us and developers/promoters
- the extent of engagement with stakeholders and the public
- the status of masterplans after they are finalised
There are some key milestones during the process, such as:
- allocating the site for development through the Local Plan
- producing the masterplan
- submitting an outline planning application
- submitting a reserved matters planning application, which provides the finer detail of the proposals
Anglia Ruskin University
The university submitted a masterplan application on 14 July 2023. This sets out the broad future vision for the Rivermead Campus site.
The masterplan is currently open for consultation.
You can view and comment on the masterplan on Public Access using the reference 23/00001/MAS.
Chelmsford Garden Community
The consortium of developers has submitted its masterplan proposals for the Chelmsford Garden Community.
The following masterplans have all been through the consultation process and have Cabinet approval.
The approved plans are:
- Strategic Growth Site 1b: St Peters Masterplan (approved 7 June 2022)
- Strategic Growth Site 2: West Chelmsford Masterplan (approved 26 January 2021)
- Strategic Growth Site 3a: East Chelmsford (Manor Farm) Masterplan (approved 16 November 2021)
- Strategic Growth Sites 3b, 3c and 3d: East Chelmsford (Maldon Road) Masterplan (approved 8 June 2021)
- Strategic Growth Site 7: Great Leighs Masterplan (approved 28 February 2023)
- Strategic Growth Site Policy 8: Broomfield Masterplan (approved 8 September 2020)
- Strategic Growth Site 10: South Woodham Ferrers Masterplan (approved 2 March 2021)
Some of these documents feature detailed information and are large in size. You may find it easier to download and view these documents on a desktop computer, rather than on a smartphone or tablet.