Apply for planning permission

If your property is in a conservation area, you will need planning permission for some works that would normally be covered by permitted development. 

These include:

  • cladding the exterior of the building
  • side extensions
  • two-storey rear extensions
  • upward extensions

You will also need planning permission if you want to carry out work to a tree in a conservation area.

Proposals for development in a Conservation Area must preserve or enhance the character of the area.

You also need to apply for permission if you want to demolish all or part of:

  • a building with a volume greater than 115 cubic metres
  • a boundary wall or railing that is higher than one metre if it is next to a highway
  • a boundary wall or railing that is higher than two metres 

If you are planning to carry out works within a conservation area, you can request planning advice.

A planning officer will review your proposals and provide advice about:

  • whether you need planning permission
  • the likelihood of your planning application being approved
  • any issues that you need to consider before you submit your planning application 
  • the information, forms and documents you need to submit with your planning application to ensure it is valid

You can also get advice about living in a conservation area from Historic England.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.