Apply for a discount or exemption

If you or another adult living with you is now in a residential care home, you can apply for a discount or exemption on your Council Tax.

If the person that is now in residential care was the only adult living at the property, they can apply for a Council Tax exemption. 

If there is now only one adult remaining at the property, they can apply for a 25% discount on their Council Tax. 

If there are two or more adults remaining at the property, you can't claim a discount but you must tell us.

To apply for a discount, you will need:

  • your Council Tax account number
  • your name, address and contact details
  • the name and address of the residential care home
  • to tell us what date the person started living in residential care

You can apply for this discount for yourself, or on behalf of the care home resident.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.