Report lost property
At the end of every journey, the driver of a licensed vehicle should search to make sure the passenger has left nothing behind.
If you think you have left something in a hackney carriage vehicle, you can report it to us.
You should provide as much detail as possible to help us identify a vehicle or driver.
To report lost property, you will need:
- your name, address and contact details
- the vehicle registration number
- the driver’s number (drivers have two badges, they must wear one and display the other on the dashboard, inside their taxi)
- the taxi licence number (this is displayed on the side of the taxi, inside the taxi and on the plate at the front and back of the taxi)
How we deal with lost property
Once we receive your report, we will:
- record the details about the lost property
- contact you to let you know where you can collect it (if found)
If you don't provide us with details about the vehicle or driver, we can only keep a record of the lost property (for when it's found).
We only licence taxis in the Chelmsford area. Drivers are not employed by us and we do not own the vehicles.
We do not hold lost property at our offices. We would always look to assist in making arrangements for you to collect items from where they are being stored.
Private hire vehicles
If you have left something in a private hire vehicle, you will need to contact the operator you booked the journey with.