You can apply for a temporary road closure if you are holding a street party or special event and want to close the road.

The application process and requirements are different for street parties and for special events.

Your event is a street party if:

  • it's only for neighbours and residents
  • you only publicise it to residents
  • it's taking place in a quiet residential street
  • you are organising it yourself 

Your event is a special event if:

  • it's a parade, procession or public event
  • anyone can attend
  • you widely publicise it, such as on social media or in a newspaper
  • a professional organiser is arranging it 

Objecting to an event

If you want to object to a temporary road closure, you need to email We will consider your objection when we make our decision.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.