You must provide evidence of the information you have given in your Discretionary Housing Payment application.

If we don’t receive your evidence, we will refuse your application.

If you have a problem providing any of the required evidence, you must contact us.

All applications

To support your application, you must provide:

  • the last two months' statements for all bank and building society accounts that you or your partner have
  • the last two months' statements for your rent
  • proof of rent arrears, notices to quit or eviction notices
  • proof of any repayment arrangements you have in place with your landlord, if you are in rent arrears
  • proof of maintenance payments

If you get the housing cost element of Universal Credit

If you get the housing cost element of Universal Credit, you must also provide:

  • proof of rent showing full the breakdown of rent and all service charges
  • Universal Credit award letter
  • wage slips for the last two months for both you and your partner
  • self-employed accounts for you or your partner
  • proof of occupational pensions
  • proof of all other income you or your partner currently receive, for example child maintenance
  • proof of childcare payments to a registered provider

Other evidence you may need to provide

You may also need to provide:

  • an invoice (for example, for any removal costs)
  • proof of assistance with your financial circumstances
  • proof of arranged debt repayments, for example IVA, bankruptcy or a debt management payment
  • medical or support needs evidence, for example a letter from your doctor, the hospital, or a social worker
  • evidence of your non-dependent’s income, for example their wage slips for the last two months

If you have had a Discretionary Housing Payment before and we advised you to take reasonable actions, you will need to provide us with proof of this.

If you have not been able to take any reasonable actions you must tell us why.

If you don’t already claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction through us, you also need to submit other documents as evidence. We will tell you the type of evidence we need, but you need to check the documents we accept as proof.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.