Report a change of address

If you have moved to a different property, you need to tell us your new address for Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit purposes.

We also need to know about any changes to your tenancy, household and rent.

The form will take about 25 minutes to complete.

To complete the form, you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • your National Insurance number
  • your bank details
  • your benefit claim number
  • landlord details (if applicable)
  • details about the new property (such as facilities and number of bedrooms)
  • details of anyone living with you (including children)
  • carer's information (if applicable)

Once you have notified us about your change of address, you must send us the supporting evidence. You have one month from the date you notified us about your change of address to send it. 

If you don't supply us with the correct evidence, we may not be able to pay you Housing Benefit.

We can start to work on your claim, but we will not be able to pay you any Housing Benefit until we have all the supporting evidence.

You need to send us:

  • your tenancy agreement (all pages) or proof of your last rent increase
  • the notice of registration form (RO5) if you have a protected or regulated tenancy (your rent that the rent service has agreed)
  • a full breakdown of all the service charges you or your partner pay
  • a referral application, and documents about the care, support or supervision you or your partner get, or a letter from your landlord or their agent, that shows:
    • how much rent you pay
    • how often you pay your rent
    • when the tenancy start, and
    • which services, if any, are included in your rent


You can visit to submit scanned or photographed images of your original documents, or upload electronic documents.

By post

You can send documents to:

Benefit Section
Civic Centre
Duke Street

If you submit your evidence by post, we will post it back to you.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.