What is a non-dependant

If someone aged 16 or over lives with you, and you or your partner don't get Child Benefit for them, they are a non-dependant. 

This is usually grown-up children, friends or elderly relatives.

If you have a non-dependant living with you, it may affect the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you can get.

Non-dependant deductions

We reduce the amount of your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction based on the non-dependant's weekly income.

You can look at non-dependant deductions for:

When deductions are not taken

We won't deduct from your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you or your partner:

  • are certified blind    
  • get the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • get Attendance Allowance
  • get the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • are aged 16 or 17 years old

We won't deduct from your Housing Benefit if the non-dependant:

  • is under 25 and gets Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Universal Credit and is not working, or is in the assessment phase of Employment and Support Allowance

We won't deduct from your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if the non-dependant:

  • has been in hospital for more than a year
  • is a full-time student and
    • studying
    • on summer holiday and not working 16 hours or more
  • gets guaranteed pension credit
  • is a prisoner who is either detailed on remand or serving a sentence of conviction
  • is a member of the armed forces away on operations

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.