Find out if you can claim and how much you might get
You can apply for Council Tax Reduction to help you pay your Council Tax if you’re on a low income or claiming benefits.
How much Council Tax Reduction you might get depends on:
- how much Council Tax you pay
- your income and savings
- the other people who live with you
- whether you’re of working age or state pension age
You can use our benefits calculator to find out if you can claim and how much Council Tax Reduction you could get.
How much you could get depends on whether you’re of working age or state pension age.
If you’re of working age:
- you can’t claim Council Tax Reduction if you have more than £6,000 in savings or capital
- the most Council Tax Reduction you can get is 77% of your Council Tax bill. You will still need to pay at least 23% of your Council Tax bill, whatever your income and savings are
If you have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit:
you can’t claim Council Tax Reduction if you have more than £16,000 in savings or capital, unless you receive Guarantee State Pension Credit
you may also be eligible for a Second Adult Rebate
You may also be able to claim Housing Benefit if you’re claiming Council Tax Reduction.